Over time, Friday morning RPD seminars are becoming my favorite, despite the heart-stopping, ulcer-inducing anxiety involved from night-before preparation. Masochistic? Maybe, but shoot, it's not every seminar where the digressions are legitimately awesome. I came to this conclusion upon reviewing my notes from yesterday morning and realized that most of them are not actually RPD-related. Aside from maybe 5 lines of actual notes and the quote I used for the title of this entry, everything was only mildly-related to RPD. These are all edited quotes from the seminar; I couldn't do direct quotes unless I included people's names.
Reasons why PBL is a failure:
1. Why do students have to figure out how to palpate axillary lymph nodes? You go and try touching anything below the neck on a patient in practice and tell me how many will want to sue you! Actually, try telling your patients, "I need to palpate your axillary lymph nodes."
2. The previous administration operated like a communist government because the dean was too removed from the situation. The board meetings would go along the lines of, "Comrade, how many bushels of wheat did you produce this week?" Who would ever give bad news if it put their job or life at risk?
3. Do you think that there should be two categories of faculty at our school: one qualified and one unqualified? No, but that's what we have at this school.
Regarding the new Part II formatting:
If I taught RPD to DDS students at this school, they would all fail the RPD portion because they would just be answering "It doesn't matter" to everything while the test actually wants them to identify select 3 of the 7 options.
But honestly, this is the golden quote of the day:
You can't say that you have fully grasped a subject until you can successfully teach it to others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment